Recommended games?

For all discussion regarding PC-98 games.
mojyo314
Site Admin
Skills: currently learning japanese, java/html/css, interested in c++ and 6502

Recommended games?

Post by mojyo314 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:39 pm

I just downloaded 5.5GB worth of PC-98 games, and I don't even know where to begin!
If anyone has any personal favourites they'd recommend, please tell me, since I don't have the time to look up information on each and every one of them.

Here is the list of the games. If a game you want to recommend isn't here, say it anyway.

Thanks!

cuba200611
PC-98 Hardware User: PC-9821Xb10
Skills: Hardware, IBM PC almost-guru, Linux semi-guru, other retro computers in general, weird crap, General-class amateur radio (ham radio) operator (4-land), English-Spanish bilingual (both native), etc.

Re: Recommended games?

Post by cuba200611 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:03 am

Well, the majority of the names on that list are in Japanese, so IDK which games are on that list.

Well, I'll start by the most obvious choices: the first five Touhou games. From what I've heard, Lotus Land Story is particularly good.

There's also the games 46 Okumen translated, which as of now include 46 Okunen, Rusty, and CRW Metal Jacket.

If you're a fan of ye old turn-based strategy, the PC-98 is a goldmine with lots of Koei games, although you would need a heavy knowledge of Japanese. Fortunately, Koei did translate most of their games into English, although in other platforms.
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" - French guy from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :mrgreen:

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." - Frank Zappa (One of my favorite musicians)

mojyo314
Site Admin
Skills: currently learning japanese, java/html/css, interested in c++ and 6502

Post by mojyo314 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks Cuba! I'll give those 46 Okumen games a try.

TsFataL
PC-98 Hardware User: N/A
Skills: Programming - Translation

Post by TsFataL » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 pm

I would suggest any of the Farland Story series. All the ones for the pc-98 have been translated. I did a playthrough of the first 2 on my YouTube channel and enjoyed them very much.
Oh they are turnbased strategy and quite forgiving. All the patches can be found at RHDN.

cuba200611
PC-98 Hardware User: PC-9821Xb10
Skills: Hardware, IBM PC almost-guru, Linux semi-guru, other retro computers in general, weird crap, General-class amateur radio (ham radio) operator (4-land), English-Spanish bilingual (both native), etc.

Post by cuba200611 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Actually, the seventh has not been translated yet.
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" - French guy from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :mrgreen:

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." - Frank Zappa (One of my favorite musicians)

TsFataL
PC-98 Hardware User: N/A
Skills: Programming - Translation

Post by TsFataL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:32 am

Yep you are correct. I had forgotten BT axis did not complete 7. I think maybe i was thinking of Farland Symphony.